What will I learn?
Endorsed by the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists and based on the Archaeology Skills Passport, this course is tailored to teach you the end-to-end process of actually doing archaeology. How do you get started? What happens on site? What do you need to do after the trenches are closed and you’re done in the pub? We’ll explain:
- What happens before excavation
- how to locate and identify archaeological sites
- the different stages of an archaeological project
- what happens in pre-excavation planning and research
- what should be included in an archaeological Project Design
- What happens during excavation
- how to set up a trench
- which tools to use, and what techniques are best practice
- how to identify and recording what you find
- how to recover artefacts and take environmental samples
- What happens after the digging is finished
- analysis of the data and archaeological materials
- interpretation of the site
- making the archaeological record accessible
- what to do with an archaeological archive
How does it work?
This six week course begins on the course start date at the top of the page – that’s when we’ll unlock your first chapter, and send you details of how to login.
After that, we’ll unlock a new chapter every Wednesday, and nudge you when it’s ready. You can do your chapters in bite-sized chunks, or in one whopper weekend sitting – whichever you prefer! At the end of each one, you’ll be able to prove your newfound knowledge in a quick quiz.
To help you along the way, we’ve also set up a Facebook Study Group for everyone on the course – it’s where you can say hello to your fellow classmates, discuss what you’re learning together, share your ideas and even call on the DigVentures team for help. It’s entirely optional, but we recommend joining – it will help you get the most out of the course!
*This course is endorsed by the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists