By joining our Dig Team or Finds Team on site, you agree to:
– Bring all the items included on our essential Safe Dig kit list, especially a facemask
You will not be allowed to enter the excavation or finds area if you are not wearing a facemask
– Wear your facemask at all times when you are within the excavation or finds area (even when more than 2m away from others)
This includes while excavating in the trenches, or taking part in any other group archaeological activity, like surveying, sieving, recording, or cleaning finds. Think of it like wearing pants – don’t take them off in public!
– Wear your gloves when using any shared DigVentures equipment, or handling artefacts
– Stay at least 2m away from others wherever possible
You can form a Dig Bubble with friends or family members that you are travelling or sharing accommodation with. Outside of that, we will always try position you 2m apart from the nearest person. However the nature of archaeology means that there is a lot of movement within the trenches, so please help us by staying alert to where you are in relation to others
– Minimise your contact with / exposure to others whenever it is not possible to stay 2m apart
This might include specific instances like handing over finds for examination, or receiving instruction on how to excavate a specific feature
– Do not share your personal dig or finds kit items with others as far as possible
You will be given your own dig kit or cleaning kit to keep for your personal use during the day. Or you can bring your own (see the Safe Dig kit list).
– Sanitise all surfaces and shared DigVentures equipment before and after use, especially before passing to anyone else
This includes mattocks, spades, shovels, wheelbarrows, pens, drawing boards, cameras, tables, finds team chairs etc.
– Sanitise your hands when entering or leaving the trench
Remember to sanitise your hands regularly!
– Abide by any additional Safe Dig measures given when you arrive on site
This list is not exhaustive, but a summary of the main things you’ll need to do
When filming or taking photos, you agree to:
– Maintain social distancing
As tempting as it is to try and get a close-up, or bunch together for group photos, cameras do not grant you temporary immunity 😉
– Check your images for any breaches before posting publicly on social media
We would prefer to personally remind anyone involved on site, rather than have you, or anyone else pictured, face a social media backlash
If you are travelling from overseas, you agree to:
– Check whether you need to self-isolate on arrival in the UK
If you do, please make sure you have self-isolated for the required period before arriving on site to join our team
Please remember that although our Safe Dig measures are more rigorous than in other outdoor public places, they are based on very careful consideration of the specific kinds of activities that take place on archaeological sites, the amount of time we will all be spending together, and respect for our team and everyone who is joining us on site.
And finally, repeat after me… FACEMASKS ARE LIKE PANTS – DON’T TAKE THEM OFF IN PUBLIC!